As our cell phones now handle everything in our lives from the utilitarian to the hedonistic, everything that we need to get by throughout the day can be conveniently taken care of with the right apps and a few simple swipes. New Yorkers are notoriously impatient with a penchant for immediate gratification, and today’s dating apps fill that insatiable need for the BBD- bigger, better deal, and have become the norm for finding love in the Big Apple. Like anything in life, some are better than others depending on what you are looking for and here we weigh in on the good, the bad, and the blatant truth behind the swipe from New York’s most popular dating apps:

 

The Power of the Swipe

The Power of the Swipe

The Power of the Swipe

The Power of the Swipe

Happn – Happen upon a one night stand or a chance at love.

Think that mobile cell phone commercial where two attractive looking people spot each other for the first time on the subway. It’s your stop!! The instant connection is so strong that you buzz each other your numbers as the subway doors close, hoping to continue the chance meeting later on.  But what if you could easily pull up each other’s profile instead? Enter the latest and great app called Happn, the hyperlocal dating app that shows you people you’ve crossed paths with…and it’s growing faster than ever. With 13M+ users globally, New York City is Happn’s largest U.S. market. Grand Central Terminal, Herald Square and Union Square are among the top locations for Happn users to cross paths. Perfect for a dinner at The Coffee Shop or a quicky at the Grand Hyatt.

www.happn.com

 

Bumble – Men take the easy way out. Again.

On this app, women have to make the first move, and men have to do virtually nothing. Unless you want to start a relationship off where the man is responsible for absolutely zilch, then this app is for you! “I just put my picture up and the girls contact me if they’re interested. It’s a sure thing I’m getting laid.” said Brian, an avid, happy Bumble user. Don’t be surprised if they expect you to pay on the first date. In other words, to the left, to the left!

www.bumble.com

 

OKCupid – If you play your cards right, you’ll be engaged by Valentine’s Day.

Ladies, if you’re looking for a relationship then this is the app for you. This app has the most attractive men, and they’re not your common gigolo player. It works through an algorithm matching formula based on your preferences and boasts a successful match rate between 60-90%. Most of the men filtered to me are in Finance, Tech or IT guys with advanced degrees. Definitely dating material on this site!

www.okcupid.com

 

Match – When you’ve run out of options.

If you’re fat, old, bald and might as well admit it: desperate, then this is the perfect app for you! Match.com is the most popular online dating site in the U.S., go figure,  living up to its guarantee to “make love happen.”  It has the largest paid user base of any other dating site but has since become a site for “desperate, old people”. Match’s biggest downfall is being too broad.  It’s for everyone to match but then no one matches. “Matchmaker, matchmaker make me a match. Find me a find, catch me a catch.” Keep dreaming!

www.match.com

 

Tinder – Best looking men and MBA’s Hands down the best looking men and MBA’s (Married But Availables) online.

You will find the most attractive men here but the majority are players or have another life somewhere on the other side of the river. So tread lightly! Since Tinder is purely based on looks,Tinder is a great app to find a hot casual date with a compatible stranger. Chances of a serious relationship: 2% Chances of a lay anytime: 98%.

www.gotinder.com

 

Eharmony – Born Again Virgins Need Apply.

Unless you’re Mormon, born again, or into significant others with mental problems, steer clear of eHarmony. Be prepared to fill out pages and pages of questions only to find out your perfect match is 50 miles away? You can’t filter within less than 30 miles. Do you really want to start your formidable dating as long distance? Besides the confusing layout and religious focus, you’re stuck as a member for months whether you like it or not. You will not be able to delete your profile for at least 6 months. Now that is saying something!

www.eharmony.com

Leave a Reply