With Prince Harry and Meghan Markle getting ready to say “I do” on May 19th, all eyes are focused on the upcoming wedding. Not invited? Not a problem, as you can still dress as if you were. Celebrity stylist Diane Lloyde Roth has dressed guests of Buckingham Palace and shares some simple tips to make you stand out at any special occasion.
Check out these 10 easy rules from Diane to assure royal-readiness and approval by even the Queen.
- It is all about the hat: Make sure your hat and your outfit are going to the same event. The bigger the hat, the smaller the hair.
- Bare skin: Wear a dress and jacket or skirt suit – no minis please. Choose a nude stocking, as bare legs and shoulders are a faux pas in church.
- Pastels and prints: Choosing floral prints or soft pastels is always appropriate. Use Mother Nature’s more delicate palette to guide your choices.
- Over the shoulder: Choose an over the shoulder shawl or shrug to add personality to an otherwise demure outfit, allowing you a personal sense of style while respecting modesty.
- Think Brit: Designers from the UK are the height of fashion. Erdem, Matthew Williamson, Jenny Packham, and of course, Stella McCartney all offer feminine dresses and suits for a royal look.
- Length: Keep the dresses and skirts at tea length, at the knee or slightly above or below.
- Makeup: Go light or go home. Your hat is the frame for your face, so allow the frame to compliment the “picture”.
- Accessories: The world’s most elegant woman, Coco Chanel, was said to have advised the following when dressing with accessories: “Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take at least one thing off.” No one can compete with the Queen’s crown or a bride’s bejeweled tiara, nor should one try. Accessorize with subtle pieces that add to your look rather than dominate the fashion narrative you are creating.
South Sea Golden Pearl Necklace – $34,500 (www.rauantiques.com)
Three Stone Ring with Pear Shape Fancy Light Yellow Green – $36,000 (www.argylepinkdiamonds.us)
JFine Multi Color/Multi Shape “Mood Bracelet” – $183,750 (www.argylepinkdiamonds.us)
Rose de Noel Coral Earring by Van Cleef & Arpels – $64,500 (www.rauantiques.com)
Art Deco Pearl Tassel Pendant – $18,850 (www.rauantiques.com)
Diamond Cuff Bracelet – $42,500 (www.rauantiques.com)
Argyle Hoops with Pink diamonds – $8,580 (www.argylepinkdiamonds.us)
JFine Flower Ring with Pink and White Diamonds – $25,000 (www.argylepinkdiamonds.us)
Multi-gems and Gold Link Necklace – $22,500 (www.rauantiques.com)
JFine Fancy Intense Yellow Diamond Earrings – $98,500
Natural Fancy Vivid Yellow Diamond Bracelet – $2,500,000 (www.rauantiques.com)
Argyle Diamond Flower Ring – $23,100 (www.argylepinkdiamonds.us)
- Shoes: Smart pumps and elegant flats are appropriate no matter the season. Leave the open-toed sandals and 4+ inch stilettos in the closet.
- Etiquette: A refresher on rules for this wedding can be found online, follow them closely. This is a time to be elegant and chic and allow the Royals to be royal!