SUMMER ENTERTAINING WITH DONATELLA
Summer is all about casual entertaining and the simple act of taking the party outside creates a more laid-back vibe. Nature provides the decor so focus on the table – it's always nice to establish a one-color palette, as it creates drama. Be sure to create a beautiful centerpiece with flowers.
To give a table some height, I love to put chilled fennel cut up in a glass trickle bowl with water and ice — it is gorgeous and a refreshing, unexpected summer snack.
I love grilling for the summer but think beyond burgers and hotdogs! One of my favorite summer grilled dishes is a swordfish and watermelon kabob — it's light, refreshing and hearty!
Disposable plates are a natural in the summer, and thankfully there are so many great plastic disposables today that look like the real deal! Just be sure to mix them with a few great pieces. I love to create a beautiful Italian antipasto on an old vintage board like the Donatella European Wood Serving Board from my Frontgate collection.
GRILLED SWORDFISH & WATERMELON SKEWERS
- 1 pound seedless watermelon, cut into 1" cubes or ½ pound precut seedless watermelon cubes
- 7 ounces Manouri or halloumi cheese, cut into 1" cubes
- 7-8 ounces swordfish steak, 1" thick, cut into 1" cubes
- Extra virgin oil, for brushing
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Dried oregano
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Heat a cast – iron stovetop grill pan over high heat.
- Thread cubes of watermelon, cheese & swordfish on bamboo skewer.
- While threading the cheese, press gently & twist back & forth to prevent the cube from splitting.
- Brush on side of each skewer with olive oil, season with salt, pepper & oregano
- Place skewer on grill pan so that the oiled sides make full contact with the hot surface
- Grill for 2 minutes without moving
- While waiting, brush the skewers with olive oil and season with additional salt, pepper & oregano.
- Turn heat off & carefully turn each skewer over
- Grill over the residual heat until the swordfish is firm, about 2 minutes more
- Take off the grill & place onto a platter & drizzle all over with lemon juice.