Over $70M in Sales and $1.2M Raised for Charity as RM Sotheby’s Bids Farewell to Amelia Island
Farewell to Amelia Island: RM Sotheby's returned to Amelia Island for the 24th and final time with a record-breaking one-day total of over $70 million in sales with 92% of lots sold, while simultaneously raising over $1.2 million dollars for Spina Bifida of Jacksonville
- RM Sotheby's achieves over $70 million in sales, breaking its record for a one-day sale at Amelia Island
- Over $1.2 million was raised for Spina Bifida of Jacksonville, the long-time supported charity of Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance founders Bill and Jane Warner
- Arguably a favorite amongst the crowd, the 2010 Pagani Zonda R 'Revolución Specification' takes the honor of "top lot," selling for a whopping $5,340,000
- With just 1,342 kilometers, the Classiche-certified 1995 Ferrari F50 sells for an impressive $5,065,000
- The much-coveted 1964 Shelby 289 Cobra sells for $1,655,000, shattering its pre-sale estimate
- Although not selling during the auction, the 1959 Ferrari 250 GT LWB California Spider by Scaglietti was sold privately shortly after the auction ended
- The strong showing of pre-war cars was highlighted by the sale of the 1931 Duesenberg Model J 'Disappearing Top' Convertible Coupe by Murphy for $4,295,000 and the ex-Pebble Beach 'Best in Show' 1936 Lancia Astura Series III Cabriolet 'Tipo Bocca' by Pinin Farina for $2,205,000, a record for the model
- In total, Saturday's auction saw 19 cars sell for over $1M and 38 sell for over $500K, with 92% of all lots sold
- Complete results for RM Sotheby's Amelia Island sale can be found on rmsothebys.com
RM Sotheby's, the world's leading collector car auction house, concluded its 24th and final Amelia Island sale, selling over $70 million in collector automobiles to a spirited and lively salesroom, with 92% of lots finding new homes. Preceding Saturday's sale was a lively charity auction conducted by Rob Myers, in which over $1.2 million was raised for Spina Bifida of Jacksonville, the charity long supported by Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance founders Bill and Jane Warner.
The record-breaking Amelia Island sale featured an impressive assortment of supercars, hypercars, and pre-war classics, with the menacing 2010 Pagani Zonda R 'Revolución Specification' leading the pack, selling for $5,340,000. A like-new 1995 Ferrari F50 followed at $5,065,000, and the stunning 1931 Duesenberg Model J 'Disappearing Top' Convertible Coupe by Murphy rounded out the top three lots, selling for $4,295,000, proving that demand for pre-war classics remains healthy and robust.
In addition, multiple cars eclipsed their pre-sale estimates; most noteworthy were the 1964 Shelby 289 Cobra—which sold for a stunning $1,655,000—the 1930 Packard 745 Deluxe Eight Convertible Victoria by Waterhouse for $637,500 (a record for the model), and the 2017 Dodge Viper ACR VoooDoo II Edition for a very impressive $417,500.
Records were broken throughout the sale and this included the ex-Pebble Beach 'Best in Show' 1936 Lancia Astura Series III Cabriolet 'Tipo Bocca' by Pinin Farina, which sold for $2,205,000, the 2014 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Black Series Coupe, which sold for $940,000, and the 1968 Ferrari Dino 206 GT by Scaglietti, which sold for $868,500.
"Our final Amelia Island sale was a sensational send-off, showcasing some of the market's most desirable offerings—with an equally impressive venue to match. We could not be happier with the location and atmosphere that our team created for our final Amelia Island sale, which was echoed by the many compliments we received from our clients. The enthusiasm and passion for exceptional vehicles in the collector car market continues to grow, demonstrated by the success of 2022 spilling over into 2023. As a team, we broke multiple auction records in Amelia, including everything from a late model Mercedes SLS, to a concours-winning Lancia Astura. While we are grateful for the 24 years at Amelia Island, we are excited for what is to come, which will include further innovation within our space." – Gord Duff, Global Head of Auctions, RM Sotheby's
"We have had 24 amazing years in Amelia Island, and while it is emotional to say goodbye to the event that our friends Bill and Jane Warner built from the ground up, we were thrilled that we were able to raise $1.2 million for Spina Bifida of Jacksonville in a matter of minutes. We were absolutely delighted to help raise funds for this important cause and are forever grateful to Bill and Jane for starting this event 26 years ago, entrusting us as a partner, and for their unwavering friendship over the years. Of course, it goes without saying: the support of the entire Amelia Island community has been incredible. Now it is time to set our sights on 2024 as we plan our newest event in South Florida." – Rob Myers, Chairman & CEO, RM Sotheby's
Amelia Island Top Ten Lots:
- 2010 Pagani Zonda R 'Revolución Specification' ($5,340,000)
- 1995 Ferrari F50 ($5,065,000)
- 1931 Duesenberg Model J 'Disappearing Top' Convertible Coupe by Murphy ($4,295,000)
- 1985 Ferrari 288 GTO ($3,965,000)
- 1953 Maserati A6GCS/53 Spyder by Fantuzzi ($2,590,000)
- 1936 Lancia Astura Series III Cabriolet 'Tipo Bocca' by Pinin Farina ($2,205,000)
- 1991 Ferrari F40 ($1,875,000)
- 1963 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Roadster ($1,765,000)
- 1965 Ferrari 275 GTS by Pininfarina ($1,655,000)
- 1964 Shelby 289 Cobra ($1,655,000)
- 92% of all lots sold for combined total over $70 million
- 19 cars sold for over 1 million dollars
- 38 cars sold for over $500K
- Bidders hailed from 25 different countries
About RM Sotheby's
RM Sotheby's is the world's largest collector car auction house by total sales. With over 40 years of proven results in the collector car industry, RM's vertically integrated range of services, from auctions (live and online) and private sales to estate planning and financial services, coupled with an expert team of Car Specialists and an international footprint, provide an unsurpassed level of service to the global collector car market. RM Sotheby's is currently responsible for seven of the top ten most valuable motor cars ever sold at auction.